Mazes and Monsters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Four Seasons, New York City

3 posters

Go down

The Four Seasons, New York City Empty The Four Seasons, New York City

Post by CodexGigas Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 pm

The Four Seasons hotel looms above Central Park like a modern castle, dominating the skyline of Manhattan Island along with the recently completed Chrysler Tower. At 52 storeys of gothic splendor, the Four Seasons isn't just the tallest hotel in New York, it's one of the tallest buildings period.

Only the intervention of mysterious investors saved the fate of the hotel after the crash. The grounds of the Seasons, including an elaborate victorian hedge maze, reflects the tastes of the new board members. Similar changes have taken place in the staff; most of the new employees are either changelings or ensorcelled mortals.

Any changeling, whether a member of the freehold of New York or a visitor, can request free lodging. Guests with low standing may find themselves in the basements, but it's better than the streets. Three of the court monarchs maintain penthouses in the Four Seasons. As far as anyone can tell, the Winter Monarch has never stayed at the hotel, but the fourth penthouse is left unoccupied as a courtesy.

A Wizened concierge can always be found in the main lobby, ready to assist changeling residents or visitors.

( n.b. In real life, the hotel wasn't built until much later, but in the World of Darkness construction began in the 1920s.)

Last edited by CodexGigas on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
CodexGigas
CodexGigas
Dragon-Blooded

Back to top Go down

The Four Seasons, New York City Empty Re: The Four Seasons, New York City

Post by CodexGigas Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:08 pm

The Solstice Ball

The hotel grew strangely silent as the night progressed. Even the party-goers spoke in hushed tones and laughter sounded forced. No one really felt like celebrating. Groups of changelings drifted off to the lobby and the gardens to discuss business.

Although the Solstice Ball officially lasted until the twelfth stroke of midnight, there were very few people left in the ballroom by then. There was a short ceremony returning control of the Freehold to the Winter Court, only slightly spoiled by the conspicuous absence of any Winter courtiers.
CodexGigas
CodexGigas
Dragon-Blooded

Back to top Go down

Post by AlaskanWyvern Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 pm

The Summer Courtier standing next to the hors d'eouvres looked uncomfortable. This was probably because, deep down inside, he had no earthly idea who this person he was talking to was, why the person thought this story was so interesting, and how soon he could get away.

Standing next to the unfortunate Summer Court member was a what an outside observer would see as a very tacky suit. This impression, however was far from the truth. Someone in the know, like the Summer courtier, would see it as a suit so tacky, so outdated, and so incredibly cheap, even the Fae wouldn't have anything to do with it. Even worse, the suit had a man inside it. The man's skin was fair, but his hands were rough, and his manner was simple and entirely unrefined. He had dark circles under his beady eyes, not from lack of sleep, but because he was just colored that way. His hands were also dark, as would be his feet if anyone could see them.

"So then I told him, That is not my bear!" The man concluded, before breaking into a loud guffaw. His victim chuckled politely, but his laughter was as forced as nearly everyone else's. Perhaps the punchline might have been funnier if it were in English. Or French. Everything sounded funnier in French.

"Well, Mr. Berry, it was nice talking to you, but I should really be going," the courtier said. He put on a smile and backed slowly towards the door.

"I don't see what ya'd have to be going for on a night like this, but if ya say so," Mr. Berry replied. "And call me Horace." By the time he finished, the courtier was practically inside the elevator, so he probably never heard the latter part.

Horace enjoyed telling people stories about his time before he was taken, out in Alaska during the latest gold rush. It was comforting to tell people about it, in a way. He knew that somewhere out there, there was a Fetch who had taken his place in society - a place he had worked so hard for, that he had earned, and that by all rights, he should be living right now. It wasn't that his current situation was terrible; the accommodations were pretty good, but he was going through on someone else's charity, and that just wasn't right. He'd take it for now, but living under his own power would be much preferable.

But to get anywhere with that, he'd have to find the Fetch and get rid of it. Or was it properly a "him"? Was it enjoying its unearned wealth? Could it enjoy anything, or was it just a mirage?

He shook his head and looked around the room. Thinking that wouldn't do him any good. It was like wondering if a moose had feelings when you were going hunting in subzero temperatures, with a mere day's worth of food in the cabin; or possibly wondering if a bear charging toward you would be able to forgive you for defending yourself. If you bothered yourself with the wrong questions, you'd never get anything done.

What he really needed was someone who could tell him where his Fetch was, or at least help him find it.
AlaskanWyvern
AlaskanWyvern
Admin

https://osgrp.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mederic du Pons Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:12 pm

With the party dwindling to a sad conclusion, Bill debated whether to spend the night at the Four Seasons or return to beneath his bridge. It was harder than you'd think.

He saw one of the new escapees standing by the hors d'eouvres wearing a tacky suit. A really tacky suit. It was the most beautiful thing he had seen in a long time.

Bill made his way across the ballroom and offered a hand to Horace. With the practiced deadpan of a madman he introduced himself. "Welcome back to the world of the living. Has anyone told you about the origins of Arcadia and the Fae?"

Mederic du Pons
Mortal

Back to top Go down

Post by AlaskanWyvern Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 am

Horace accepted the hand and shook it firmly. "Thankya, thankya. Can't say as anyone has," he replied gregariously. "Although if you'd fill me in, I suppose that might be worth knowing."

Someone like this wasn't exactly what Horace was expecting, but then again, this was more of a Changeling event than a high-class event. Still, he would have thought someone coming here would at least take more pride in his appearance. To each his own, though.
AlaskanWyvern
AlaskanWyvern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mederic du Pons Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 am

(With apologies to Neil Gaiman.)
Bill prepared to begin one of his favorite stories. To date only Betty believed him, but she still had problems understanding jokes.

He decided to begin as insanely as possible. "Well, you see; about 10,000 or so years ago Cats ruled everything and Mankind were their slaves. We fed them, washed them, played with them and cleaned up after them. The cats forced mankind to work all day so that they could spend their lives in absolute luxury. As you can imagine it was a Nightmarish world.

"So mankind came together one day in a great assembly to decide what they should do. Eventually one old sage came forward. 'If every human dreamed, and truly believed in that dream,' He said, 'then that world shall replace the dream of the Cats.'

"That night every man dreamed of a world where they ruled over the cats, and when they awoke the next day that world had come to pass." Bill let the last couple of words drift off dreamily as he stared at a ceiling fixture for dramatic effect.

Mederic du Pons
Mortal

Back to top Go down

Post by AlaskanWyvern Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:23 pm

((I'm playing fast and loose with dates and geographies, so sue me.))

Horace didn't even blink, ignoring the fact that Bill's story evidently had absolutely nothing to do with the Fae.

"Reminds me of the time the world's largest moose came into my cabin, and my dog and I had to fend it off with a can of tomatoes. It was in the dead of winter, '04. I was snowed in on all sides with four feet of snow – halfway up the windows! Couldn't get out the door or nothin'. I'd been laid up with the flu for the last week, so I couldn't shovel, but when I finally got better, I couldn't get out! And to make things worse, all I had left to eat were canned tomatoes! Thing is about tomatoes, is, they don't really grow well up in the Klondike - too cold and all that, so you've got to go buy 'em at the nearest town. So I'd gone out into Skagway and bought as many tomatoes as I could get. I was gonna save 'em for a special occasion, you know, but I had to eat 'em then because they were the only thing I had.
So there I was, eating cold tomatoes out of a can, when this moose starts pawing at the window, trying to dig its way in. I guess it had smelled the food and had run out of forage, so it wanted in real bad. There wasn't anything I could do, since the window didn't open, so it finally just took its antler and smashed the window right open. That's what they do when they get mad, you know - they start goring things. Doesn't look like they should be able to, but they can - it's really somethin'. And then they start stompin'. My friend Bill got his foot stomped by one once, and that was lucky that was all he got stomped, let me tell ya'.
But anyway, the window breaks, and there's glass everywhere, so I yell and chuck the first thing I had in my hands: the half-eaten can of tomatoes, with my fork and everything. Hits him dead in the face, so it stops right then and there to get its tongue in the tomato can. So while it's doing that, I sneak over real careful, grab my gun, and shoot it; couldn't miss at that range. Then I climb out the window, still in my skivvies, mind you, take off a piece of the moose, and had it for dinner. Best day ever."
AlaskanWyvern
AlaskanWyvern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mederic du Pons Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:24 pm

It was fortunate that Bill made his living talking to squirrels, otherwise he might have lost track of the escapee's story. Instead he listened intently, nodding thoughtfully at appropriate times.

"Never had moose myself." He began once the story finished. "Used to like bear, though I had to give it up in memory of king Philip IV. Good man, Mr. The IV; had a stare that could kill a weaker man outright. But then he ran afoul the squirrels." Here he looked Horace straight in the eyes, "Always remember one thing in life: The wicked... will fall ...to the squirrels!" Bill turned his head slowly until he stared directly at Betty standing in a group of Spring Courtiers. When she caught his gaze she returned an awkward, confused wave.

Mederic du Pons
Mortal

Back to top Go down

Post by CodexGigas Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 pm

The crowd thinned as the evening wore on, which only made the screaming from the garden all the more obvious as it sliced through the ballroom.
CodexGigas
CodexGigas
Dragon-Blooded

Back to top Go down

Post by AlaskanWyvern Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Horace had thought of something to say, but when somebody screamed like that, something amazing happened: Horace entirely forgot what he was going to say.

Instead, he took off running out of the ballroom and towards the garden, slowing to a cautious stop when he got close, in order to stay hidden. People didn't generally scream like that for no good reason, after all, which in his mind gave him two obligations. One, to help. In the environment he was used to, there weren't often other people around, and when there were, everyone had to look out for each other. Two, to not become part of the problem. That was the flipside of the issue. Sometimes what the other person needed help with was a bear or something similar, in which case barging in could often make things worse.
AlaskanWyvern
AlaskanWyvern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CodexGigas Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 pm

((I'm going to make another thread for action taking place in the garden.))

Several changelings dove for tables as soon as the screams started, while others froze. Not many seemed to be preparing for action, although one courtier ran to the lobby shouting something about cold iron.
CodexGigas
CodexGigas
Dragon-Blooded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down